Tuesday 2 August 2011

weaving the land

weaving [my little effort]
one of my pieces. i loved learning this weaving style.

dilly bag by Gitipulu
dilly bag by Gitjpulu

open weave bag by Gitipulu
open weave bag by Gitjpulu

basket by Margaret Bambalarra
basket by Margaret Bambalarra

dilly bag by Gitipulu
dilly bag by Gitjpulu

dilly bag by Gitipulu
dilly bag by Gitjpulu

Arnhem Land Weavers

Oh my goodness. I cannot begin to put into words how I feel after the 10 day weaving trip I've just finished to a very remote community in north-east Arnhem Land (in the Northern Territory, Australia). So much learning on a cultural and making level! These images of my precious purchases will have to suffice for now. Please note the first image is one of my humble weaving pieces (I'm a beginner). All bags are hand made from pandanus leaves stripped and dyed with natural dyes. If you'd like any more information about the community or the weaving program please click here.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous baskets. Yours too, Kylie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't begin to describe how talented the local indigenous weavers of Mapuru are. Stunning baskets and all from natural resources. They work so hard to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, beautiful! We went to kakadu a few months ago and got to see the dilly bags at the indigenous centre, so much work and they're so beautiful. What a wonderful experience it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bianca, so lovely to hear from you! And yes, it was an incredible experience to be part of the wonderful Mapuru weaving community. Some of us nicknamed it 'extreme weaving' as we did it for 5 days in a row. All day every day sitting on the ground in the weaving shelter with the women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous! The work in this weaving is incredible. We were fortunate enough to spend time travelling all through last year and spend time with a number of different Indigenous people. This is certainly an area that I would love to go back (with more time). You have been very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how incredible. These are all really beautiful. I'm glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twining is my favourite technique too. What are you using? Raffia or native fibres that have been dyed in advance? Gitipulu's open weave technique looks interesting, more Pacific Island in style. Are you back or blogging from there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belinda - aren't they lovely?
    Kate - they're made from pandana leaves that are stripped and then dyed with natural dyes before weaving. Lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kylie - these pieces took my breath away. I can't imagine anything better than extreme weaving! Looking forward to hearing more next time we catch up. A cuppa at the studio sometime soon? Em x

    ReplyDelete