Sunday 15 February 2009

still life blue, the transformation

I'm trying to convert my 'still life blue' design (3rd image below) into a Japanese style woodblock print for a commission. I spent all yesterday afternoon working at this table sketching it out (it will be bigger this time) and putting the design onto blocks.

It's a lot of fun sketching out the design onto the wood but because this one will have 5 colours it needs 5 different blocks and super careful registration to make sure it all lines up when I print. The bonus is I recently ordered some moku hanga style shina plywood from Japan (thanks to baren forum and an old contact I had from my Japan days in Tokyo - Woodlike Matsumura) and it arrived a little while ago so I have plenty to work with. No more scrimping and placing designs on the unused ends of old blocks.

And the end result will look something like my giclee print (above) but because it will be a woodblock print it will have a very different character. Anyone like to guess just how many weeks 5 blocks will take me to carve? I like to take things at a leisurely pace.

PS. my giclee print is available to buy in the OZ Bushfire Appeal etsy shop. All funds raised go to the Australian Red Cross to help the 7000 people who were displaced by the fires last week.

4 comments:

  1. I really can't imagine just how long the block carving is going to take you, but can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to do a little each day, block by block, so it doesn't feel like a mountain of carving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long will it take you? I have no clue. I'll look forward to seeing the finished print too.

    ReplyDelete