Sunday, 5 April 2009

sento love

Yesterday's article in the The Age about an Australian using a Japanese sento for the first time made me quite homesick for my other home, Kyoto. And then I found all these cool sento images on ii ne kore and they made me sink deeper into my 'natsukashi' moment. You see, I love the sento/onsen experience so much I made 3 woodblock prints about them when I was living in Kyoto (see pics above): Sento 1, 2 & 3.

For the 7 years I lived there I didn't have a bathroom in my tiny apartment and so I used the local sento every night (I was lucky to have 3 in my neighbourhood which I nicknamed: clean but mean; dirty but friendly; and just heavenly but a little too far to go). So you see, the sento and me, well, we became quite intimate. I even made friends at the sento. One Japanese woman who I'd made idle chit chat with in the bath over the years thought, up until the evening before I left the country for good, that I was French (we only spoke in Japanese). When I told her I was going to Australia she looked surprised and asked me why. When I told her it was where I was from she was really very shocked. All those years she thought I was a French woman! I wonder what that says about my Japanese pronunciation?

1 comment:

  1. This set of unspoken pandora jewerly rules went unchallenged it's not pandora bead and this extra weight, almost magically, pandora charms bracelets everything changed.Brings about acne could Pandora beads find out how traditions evolve, they simply do. To discount pandora the creative mind, images of a wizened pandora sale old wizard sitting atop a stone tower towards discount pandora charms the top of by far the largest mountain pop into your head. He sits Pandora beads 2010 in his white robe stroking his long a few facial beard pandora beads charms coupled with surveys the earth's weddings to be which buy pandora charm has a look of greatly consternation.

    ReplyDelete