Sunday 4 November 2007

carving

It's pouring with rain this Sunday morning, and for those of you who don't live in Melbourne or don't know much about the Australian drought, this is a very good thing!

I have a lot of carving to do. This is the most tedious part of woodblock printmaking in my opinion but the nice part is you can end up with some gorgeously carved blocks which are like pieces of art in themselves. And not to mention it's the only way to get the print on the paper! I love using my carving tools. I bought them one by one in Japan as I had the money (good quality tools can be quite pricey) and now have a good collection. There's even a very old tool previously owned by the lovely Kazuko Hirota, a wonderful Japanese woodblock printer. The wooden handle is smooth with wear and very soft to touch and hold. It's a tiny tool with a small scoop carver and I swear it's one of the most used tools in my box.

They say in Japan that the rainy season or at least a rainy day is the best day for printing as it helps the paper to stay moist. If there's going to be any printing today I'd better stop my carving procrastination.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there

    Thanks for your comment on my blog, and yes, you are right, the boxes are from IKEA! Small world!

    Hope the weather isn't too bad down there now, at least you are on the home stretch to summer now! Hoep it improves. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and endless raining in sydney too.
    it's just lovely.
    except of course when i have to do a market.

    as always, thanks for your comments on my blog.
    hope you're enjoying your new studio.
    great pic, love to see people working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went to the Ukiyoe museum in Matsumoto. Did you ever get there? They have the largest collection in the world. Amazing stuff!

    I even splurged and bought a woodblock print - a reproduction, but printed in the traditional way. Will photograph it soon.

    ReplyDelete