Thursday 31 July 2008

yuko shimizu

I've been a HUGE fan of Yuko Shimizu's for ages so thought it was time I said something about her here. In my humble opinion, Yuko is an illustration queen! Her gorgeous, playful work above was done for a Canadian mag called Walrus in 2006. Yuko is Japanese but now lives and works in Manhattan and lectures in illustration in a BFA course. She has a press list to die for which leads me to think this woman must never sleep. Read this fab interview with her from illustration friday here. The funniest thing is that she shares the exact same name with the person who created hello kitty and makes a point of saying on her website that if you're looking for that Yuko Shimizu then you've got the wrong person. How excruciating for her.....

And now on to more things Melbourne. As if the Design Festival wasn't enough for all of us there's now the Melbourne Art Fair, which describes itself as 'a biennial trade fair for the exposition of contemporary art in the Asia Pacific region' beginning today. Can't wait to hop on down there and check it out.

2 comments:

  1. oh my, thanks so much for pointing out Yuko's work. i've only heard about her, but my jaw dropped when i viewed her portfolio. you might also like Jillian Tamaki's work - www.jilliantamaki.com - illustration goodness also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. It's got two of my favourite things stripes and underwater imagery. Striped shirts are my thing and have served me well as a uniform of winter 08.

    ReplyDelete